Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Bienvenid@s to my Latin blog!

I’m part of the fourth largest ethnic group immigrating to Canada: the Latin community. We are a growing minority not very well noted, but with a strong voice. Latinos started to come to Canada in the 70s for different reasons, mostly political, and we haven’t stopped since. Now, we form a community of nearly 1 million people primarily concentrated in the city of Toronto.

But, who are Latinos exactly? It refers to Spanish speakers from Latin America –not Spain- including Brazil... and this blog is meant to talk about our culture, our needs, our wants and our story as immigrants. We are not the largest force in the country, but we still matter. That’s why this blog is not only intended for the Latino community, it is also meant to show and educate others about our culture.

So, why talk about this minority? Because I felt the urgent need to create a space where I can get in contact with my roots. I want to offer a friendly site where we can recreate our experience as immigrants, laugh about it and learn from others. Because no matter how long ago we left our countries, being Latino is still part of our identity and it defines us everywhere we go.

Here we won’t only talk about food, music or family. NO! I’ll try to talk about different topics, like why we leave our countries, what moves us to immigrate and how it's like to arrive to a new country. Truth be told, I'm not the expert when it comes to this topic. In fact, I'm still learning... every single day is a new opportunity for it! My only intention is to share part of my experience and hear from others. 

I already have a list of possible topics and ideas in mind, but there’s always room for new ones. That’s why I encourage every reader to comment –no matter what your nationality is. You can ask questions or make suggestions for future postings! I’ll be more than glad to share your story and respond to your question.


Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. 

5 comments:

  1. My first friends that I met in Canada were Mexicans:) and all people from Latin America which I know are very friendly and chummy with a nice sense of humor! Want to know much more about Latino and I hope your blog will help me to explore this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Liliia! I'll try to do my best to write interesting things that help you learn a little bit more about Latin America!! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you migrated to Canada. It has been a pleasure to get to know you and work with you. I look forward to reading your blog and learning more about Latino culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Steph! I'm supper happy to be here.

      Delete
  3. Impressive web site, Distinguished feedback that I can tackle. Im moving forward and may apply to my current job as a pet sitter, which is very enjoyable, but I need to additional expand. Regards. chat

    ReplyDelete