Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2016

It's Carnival season!

While up North we freeze, down in the South of the continent is Carnival season! So, here are a few survival tips to navigate this celebration successfully…

How to survive Carnivals (in Latin America)?
  1. Pick your costume or a nice swimsuit: in some countries of Central and South America, February can be one of the warmest months of the year. This is the time to dress-up in fantasy costumes and take the streets, or get into your swimsuit and head to the beach.
  2. Be prepared to dance: no matter how good of a dancer you are, just be ready for it. I never learned to dance Samba –carnival’s anthem-, but I was always prepared to hide or run away from it. 
  3. Be prepared to drink, a lot: Carnival is meant to be a wild celebration; you should surrender to the “pleasures of the flesh” during those 4-5 days before the beginning of the Lent. Good enough reason to party and drink!
  4. Enjoy the entertainment: Carnivals are celebrated throughout Latin America. You’ll see all the main streets of all main cities and towns beautifully decorated. In some cases, like Brazil, it takes almost a year to put everything together. No matter where you are, you’ll see colourful floats, parades and costumed dancers taking public streets.
    Barranquilla's Carnivals, Colombia
  5. Practice your Portuguese: I can’t write this post without mentioning Rio de Janeiro, the Carnival world capital, and worthy of its world record. This is the 5-day celebration we all aim for, and the best example of what it means to us. It all sums to samba, costumes and magnificent floats. No matter where you celebrate Carnival in Latin America you’ll hear and you’ll want to sign samba –you can start practicing with the word “caipirinha”. 
Here is a short demonstration...



11 comments:

  1. These all sound like sound tips for surviving this amazing celebration. If only we were in Brazil rather than Canada right now - I would love to experience Carnival one day. Especially for the caipirinhas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good drink!! I'm sure you'll like it ;), hope you can go there someday!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so fun. I wish I was there now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very fun Katy!! I hope you can experience it someday!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When can I book my ticket? This sounds amazing! I have always said that I firmly believe that I should have been born somewhere warm...since that didn't happen, I'll have to settle for travelling somewhere warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get bored living in a warm place!! It's nice to see the colours and the seasons change

      Delete
  5. OK- Carnival looks amazing! If I ever make it to Latin America, Carnival is definitely something I'll have to check out. Have you ever been to Toronto for Carnival?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't... But I heard there are some really cool Latin celebrations, maybe for next year.

      Delete
  6. I love the carnival and I think its really cool that you talk about it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If someone say Brazil, the first thing which will pop up in my mind would be Rio Carnival. This festival is a destination I would like to reach during my future vacation in Brazil. Great post!

    ReplyDelete